There are a lot of fakers out there. Here's how to find the best olive oil for your buck.
- Shop where you know there's inventory turnover
- Buy for use within two months
- Opt for oil in dark glass bottles or in tins
- Choose "extra virgin olive oil", it's the purest, least processed and most flavorful type
- Be wary of bargain-bin oils (less than $10 a liter)
More resources include the North American Olive Oil Association and TruthinOliveOil.com run by journalist Tom Mueller, author of the book Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil.